The AVETMISS-compliant Software Register is considered the go-to starting point for any RTO looking to purchase a suitable student management system.
The register includes about 40 suppliers who claim that their software is AVETMISS compliant with or without options.
- AVETMISS release
- Available in following states/territories
- Produces AVETMISS files in correct format
- Verifies mandatory AVETMISS fields (optional)
- Verifies AVETMISS classifications (optional)
- Verifies classifications in system files (optional)
- Unique Student Identifier Compliant
- Last updated
It's important to note that the vendors in this register are not required to demonstrate compliance. They do not hold a certificate of compliance, nor are they required to implement or maintain AVETMISS compliance by keeping their software up to date with changes unless their customers complain, then NCVER may investigate and decide to delist them. If that sounds like you and the RTO community are the defacto regulators and all listed vendors are innocent until proven guilty, You're right. That's exactly how it is.
What is AVETMISS Compliant Software? Find out more about AVETMISS-compliant software.
Given that you have to actively flag a vendor as non-compliant does that mean you'd have to purchase a system, discover it doesn't work then appeal to NCVER to have the vendor delisted? And even if the vendor is shown to be non-compliant, neither NCVER or ASQA provide any assurances that your purchase fee will be repaid.
What can you do to avoid buying a lemon?
Obviously if the case is clear cut and supported by NCVER you will have recourse through the consumer law. But that could take time and a lot of effort on your part. After all that you still won't have a compliant system.
As with most things, it's important to do your homework first and head off disaster at the pass.
- Ask to see specifications and independent test results. Note: that NCVER provides the AVETMISS Validation Software (AVS) and most states will provide testing services for those vendors who request it.
- Ask for a list of references from customers who have the same reporting requirements as you do.
- Serious vendors today should also offer integrated USI services. You should not need to work separately in both your SMS and the USI website. So make sure that USI compliance is also demonstrated to your satisfaction.
- Ensure compliance is a mandatory condition of purchase.
- You could negotiate an agreeable fee to have the prospective vendor import your last AVETMISS submission or the NCVER test files and demonstrate that the system can regenerate the NAT files and get a clean bill of health from NCVER and/or your State Training Authority, e.g. Skills Victoria, DTWD RAPT, DETConnect
Rushing into a purchase to meet your registration audit deadline is never a good idea. On the other hand, it's a great opportunity to get your preferred vendor to work with you and help you get through the audit as a clear demonstration of their capabilities. They have a vested interest in your success and should be willing to help.